A sprinkler system is a device used to irrigate lawns and gardens by distributing water in a controlled manner. It consists of various components that work together to provide efficient watering. To prevent damage from freezing temperatures, it is crucial to turn off your sprinkler system during the winter months. This will help protect the pipes and other components from potential ice-related issues. Once spring rolls around you may be wondering how to turn on a sprinkler system. You will start with the main valve key, open up the zones one at a time, and check for any damage or leaks.
What Is a Sprinkler System?
A sprinkler system is an automated irrigation system that delivers water to plants using a network of pipes, valves, and heads. It is designed to ensure the even distribution of water and promote the healthy growth of plants.
Equipment and Tools
Before starting the process of turning on your system, gather the following equipment and tools:
- Air compressor
- Mainline valve key
- Sprinkler head adjustment tool
- Pipe glue (if necessary)
- Joint compound or plumber’s tape (if necessary)
Before You Start
There are a few important steps to take before you begin:
- Familiarize yourself with the layout and components of your sprinkler system.
- Inspect the system for any visible leaks or damages.
- Ensure the main water supply line is shut off.
Steps to Turn on A Sprinkler System
Follow these steps to turn on your sprinkler system:
- Locate the mainline valve key and use it to turn the main water supply to the “on” position.
- Slowly open individual zone valves to allow water to flow through the pipes.
- Inspect each sprinkler head for proper functionality and adjust as needed.
- Check for any leaks or damaged components during the process.
- Monitor the system for proper operation and make necessary adjustments if required.
Other Recommended Maintenance
Now that you know about turning on your system, there are a few other areas of maintenance. One of those is if the sprinkler system won’t turn on. If this happens, it could be damage to the sprinkler head, pipe, voltage issues, or broken valve.
Another is how long to run drip irrigation on shrubs. It depends on the type of soil that you have, but it is usually about one week.
Lastly, you will want to know when it is too late to fertilize the lawn. It is a good idea to try to fertilize in the late fall, spring, or late spring and early summer.
When to Call a Professional
If you encounter any difficulties or notice significant issues during the process of turning on your system, it is advisable to seek professional assistance. They can help identify and resolve any complex problems related to your system.
Maintaining a properly functioning sprinkler system is crucial for the health and appearance of your lawn and garden. By following the necessary steps and taking appropriate precautions, you can ensure efficient watering and prevent potential damage. Call on Bentley Home Inspection team for a sprinkler system inspection in East Tennessee, and surrounding areas.